We discussed why Oracle Cloud is the best place to run your Oracle databases in a previous blog post. However, it is also understandable that not all databases can be moved to the cloud (yet) and it might be not affordable for everyone to run all of these databases on Cloud@Customer.
Keeping your Oracle databases running on-premises still allows you to take advantage of several Cloud Services that make your DBA life easier and increase availability and security. Let’s have a look at what services Oracle Cloud offers for Oracle on-premises databases.
Database Backup Cloud Service
the Backup Cloud Service enables you to backup your Oracle databases to OCI Object Storage. You continue using the familiar RMAN commands, but configuring OCI Object Storage as a backup destination. You benefit from:
- High durability providing 99.999999999% (eleven 9’s) of annual durability. This is achieved by storing the data redundantly across three ADs (Availability Domains) in multi AD regions and in different FDs (Fault Domains) in single AD regions.
- Oracle Cloud provides many regions around the globe to choose from, eliminating your need for a second data center to ensure disaster recovery. It’s also possible to implement automatic data replication to multiple regions for increased availability.
- Use RMAN backup encryption and all RMAN backup compression algorithms at no additional cost. For these two features, you don’t need the Advanced Security and Advanced Compression options. All data is securely transmitted to the cloud over HTTPS.
- Unlimited storage space for an unlimited number of objects being instantly available for you. You don’t need to purchase and maintain any further hardware for backups.
- Storage cost efficiency by paying only $0.0255 per GB per Month for Object Storage or $0.0026 for Archive Storage. The cost for using the backup service itself is as low as $0.0051 per GB per Month for Object Storage or $0.0005 for Archive Storage. You pay only for what you use.
- Get Started – Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service
- Free Live Lab – Backup and Recovery to the Cloud
- Pricing – Database Backup
Oracle Data Safe
Data Safe is a web-based unified control center that helps you understand your data’s sensitivity, evaluate risks to data, mask sensitive data, implement and monitor security controls, assess user security, monitor user activity, and address data security compliance requirements like CIS, GDPR, and STIG.
You benefit from:
- A centralized dashboard for all your Oracle databases, on-premises, and in the cloud.
- Great assistance to meet compliance needs, better security, and reduced risk.
- Reducing cost and effort of managing security.
Database Management is a cloud service that provides broad capabilities for managing and monitoring your Oracle on-premises databases.
You benefit from:
- Comprehensive database performance diagnostics, monitoring, and management capabilities.
- Fleet monitoring and management providing a single view of all your databases in one place.
- Monitor database metrics and run SQL jobs specific to a database.
- Documentation – Database Management
- Pricing – Observability and Management Platform
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Database Management
- Performance Hub for on-premises databases
- Tablespace monitoring and managing database parameters for on-premises
- Monitoring on-premises Oracle Database Real Application Clusters
- Oracle databases and hosts Operations Insights
- AWR Viewer to Analyze Database Performance
Oracle GoldenGate Cloud Service
The Oracle GoldenGate Cloud Service enables you to use the Oracle GoldenGate technology for real-time data replication, filtering, and transformation without the need to purchase a software license. The subscription model allows you to use GoldenGate as a Service and pay only for the OCPUs used in a specific time period.
You benefit from:
- Moving data across databases in real-time.
- Zero downtime data migration without impacting your critical production system.
- Pay per use model without any commitment.
However, in the current version, when the source and target database are both on-premises, the data are still transferred from the source on-premises to the cloud and then back again to the target on-premises. A planned newer version will replicate data between on-premises resources without transferring the data to the cloud.
- Get Started – Oracle GoldenGate Cloud Service
- Free Live Lab – Replicating Data Using Oracle Cloud Infrastructure GoldenGate
- Pricing – GoldenGate
Oracle Cloud provides several services to manage, monitor, and secure Oracle databases in the cloud and on-premises. You benefit from higher availability, flexibility, and cost-efficiency. Even if you are keeping all of your Oracle databases on-premises, you can still use and benefit from these services.